Saturday, January 21, 2012

4 More Years of "Santos" Tour Down Under

I am back after 13 days straight of work. Hopefully things will calm down now, and I'll be able to follow cycling more closely again. I'm following the Santos Tour Down Under and I've been very impressed with Greipel and Valverde! Even Clarke had an amazing stage! I am doing a fantasy league on road.cc and I just joined cobblestone.be. Please join me on either site. I know more about the road.cc one as I was on it last year.

But, enough of what's going on in my world, here is more hot-off-the-press cycling news:

Santos extends with Tour Down Under

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/santos-extends-with-tour-down-under)

The Tour Down Under's future was assured as title sponsor Santos announced it would continue for another four years. The agreement gives the Australian energy corporation naming rights through 2016.

"This is fantastic news for the State and it shows the confidence Santos has in the event," said South Australian premier Jay Weatherill.

"The race is now truly established on the world stage, kicking off the annual UCI WorldTour calendar and attracting the best teams and riders to Adelaide each January."

The Tour Down Under, in its 14th year, became the first non-European race on the UCI's top tier racing calendar in 2008. The UCI extended the race's WorldTour license through 2015 last August. Santos first signed on as title sponsor for the 2010 edition.

"The Santos Tour Down Under is the biggest cycling race in the southern hemisphere and the news that our successful partnership will continue ensures this event can continue its impressive growth."

The race organisation's press release estimates last year's event was worth $43 million to South Australia's economy and was attended by "more than 780,000 people".

No comments:

Post a Comment