Wednesday, June 6, 2012

More RSNT News...

There has been so much Johan Bruyneel vs. the Schleck Brothers in the news, along with the RadioShack Nissan Trek team...today wasn't an exception:

First the improvement of the RSNT team:

The story improves for RadioShack-Nissan at the Dauphiné

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-story-improves-for-radioshack-nissan-at-the-dauphine)

Tony Gallopin (RadioShack-Nissan) continued his run of solid form on Stage 2 of the Critérium du Dauphiné, sprinting to third behind winner Daniel Moreno (Katusha) and Julien Simon (Saur-Sojasun).

Gallopin finished in the top 10 of each of the five stages of the Bayern Rundfahrt, and sixth overall in the lead up to the French event, and then fifth on Monday’s Stage 1.

"When there isn’t a victory it is always disappointing," he said on the team’s website, frustrated that he had come close yet again.

"The team did such a good job for me, especially Popo. Popo stayed with me until the last 500 meters when some riders attacked and it was time for me to go. I tried to keep the wheel of Moreno when he went and I couldn’t, but third place is not so bad. Tomorrow is the flattest stage of the week so it will be for the super fast sprinters which is not me, but that’s ok because on Friday and Sunday I will have more chances."

The performance netted the 24-year-old the white jersey for the best young rider.

Meantime, team talking-point
Andy Schleck finished the 160km stage 1:47 behind Moreno, 100th man across the finish line with RadioShack-Nissan manager Johan Bruyneel encouraged by the effort.

"I saw something special today from Andy, something that makes me hope," Bruyneel is quoted as saying on Nieuwsblad.be. "In a second category climb of the Montivernoux, he started at the back and drove ahead as everybody went over the climb.

"He literally told me: 'do not panic, I'll be ready for the Tour'. I believe him. He’s been there in the past. I just hope that he is not on the back foot heading into the Tour."

Schleck himself say there was no need for concern.

"I understand that there are people panicking about my performance, but they shouldn’t," he said. "I expect that by the final weekend, you will see signs of progression."



Then we found out exacly why Andy Schleck has been struggling:


Andy Schleck reveals he was treated for knee problems in May

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-reveals-he-was-treated-for-knee-problems-in-may)Andy Schleck has disclosed that knee problems have affected his form, and that he was in fact treated at a clinic in Switzerland for three days last month. So it is “not surprising” that he is behind in the Critérium du Dauphiné, he said.

While checking out the Alpine stages of the
Tour de France last month, the younger Schleck developed knee problems. Team RadioShack-Nissan decided not to take any chances and sent him to a clinic in Basel, run by one of the team doctors. He was there for three days for treatment and rest.

In all, he lost a week of training. “Therefore it is not surprising that I am behind the competition in the Dauphiné,” he told De Telegraaf. “Of course I would prefer to show a better condition, but if you look at the preparations, it makes sense.

“I think that I have gotten better over the past three days. I don't feel the panic which some other people feel because I was dropped in the first stage. I'm not panicking.”

Neither is his boss, Johan Bruyneel. "He literally told me: 'do not panic, I'll be ready for the Tour'. I believe him. He’s been there in the past. I just hope that he is not on the back foot heading into the Tour,” he told Nieuwsblad.be.

Schleck lost over three minutes on the first stage of the Dauphiné and just under two minutes in Tuesday's second stage.  His main rivals for the Tour de France title, Bradley Wiggins (Sky) and Cadel Evans (BMC) are currently first and second overall, with only one second dividing them.


 


Then we learn of the possible future of the Schlecks:


Schlecks to Riis, Contador to Bruyneel?

(http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schlecks-to-riis-contador-to-bruyneel)

Will
Andy and Fränk Schleck return to Saxo Bank and Bjarne Riis, with Alberto Contador then going to Johan Bruyneel and Team RadioShack-Nissan? Tuttobiciweb.it indicated that such a deal may be in motion.

Officially, however, teams and riders are not allowed to start negotiating new contracts or have official contact until after August 1. Despite this, the Italian website said the deal “is at a very advanced stage...”

The swap of riders would serve both teams, the report says. Riis needs riders who can bring in UCI points and possibly sponsors, which the Schlecks are capable of doing.

RadioShack-Nissan and Bruyneel has the sponsors and the points but want a rider who can win the Tour de France. “A perfect portrait of Alberto Contador,” the website pointed out.

The Schlecks and Riis did not have a good relationship after they left Saxo Bank in 2010, and the same is said to be true of Contador and Bruyneel after their time together at Astana.

But now, tuttobiciweb.it reports, all are ready to forgive and forget. “Riis is ready to embrace the brothers, and Contador prepares to land in America.”

No comments:

Post a Comment